In the spirit of self-care summer, let’s talk skincare for a minute. And because we’re ALWAYS in the spirit of defiantly thrive, let’s talk about how to care for your skin like a renegade.
Renegades are busy af. We run families, companies, websites, blogs…pretty much, the world. We don’t want to waste money on junk, but we also have time to try every product on the market. We are skeptical of marketing and wary of influencers, preferring only to trust the results that we can see, touch, and experience firsthand. I GOTCHU FAM. I’m right there with ya.
Which is why I don’t expect you to take my word on any of this. I’m writing it because I was approached about trying the Saranghae Skin Care Routine for 30 days, asked to document any legit changes, and then report back on whether or not I was satisfied with the results. Well, 30 days later (<– an excellent zombie movie, btw) I’ve got my “O” face on. As in, OOOOH MY GAWD, there’s some seriously rad shit happening with my face. Let me elaborate…
My skin, which has been suffering since moving out here to the wild, wild west where there’s basically no such thing as humidity, has FINALLY had its thirst quenched. Not even kidding. I have battled chronic dry skin for the past 7 years, and finally just settled on the fact that it didn’t stand a chance against the dry air…and my 30’s. Moisturizers didn’t cut it, but most oils were too oily and left that slimy, sticky film all over my face. Generally not a good look.
Even worse than the dryness is the irritation and REDNESS. Splotches, sun damage, swimming-pool sized pores. Some of you know what I’m talking about and the struggle to hide that shit is REAL. In the past I’ve had to resort to layers of foundation and concealer just to achieve a balanced skin tone, but of course, that’s only masking the problem. And that “masking” leads to other problems like acne and even more dryness from all the scrubbing you have to do in order to get that mask off at the end of each day. It’s an endless, vicious cycle that is quite frankly EXHAUSTING and EXPENSIVE. I knew there had to be something better out there, but trying to find it in a place like Sephora is like looking for a needle in a haystack. And I have plenty of direct-selling friends out there promoting various skincare solutions, but after a while, they all start to look and sound the same: all-natural, herbal extracts, not tested on animals, contain real volcanic ash and unicorn tears from the lost City of Atlantis, etc.
So why did Saranghae stand out to me, aside from its way cool name that means “I love you” in Korean? Because they’re kicking it old school. Not only are the botanicals 100% organic, the formulas and unique ingredients are based on healer references from Eastern Medicine that have been around for over 600 years. A descendant of one of these healers, after learning about all the chemicals in North American skin care products, went rogue and started selling her mother’s homemade skin cream out of her university dorm room. A renegade entrepreneur after my own heart! Consider my curiosity peaked.
I decided to try their most popular 5-step routine because I’m also a fan of their marketing strategy. Rather than blowing millions on flashy advertising campaigns and celebrity endorsements, they rely on a community of loyal supporters – customers who have actually tried and tested the products for extended periods of time – to advocate on their behalf. Because yo, results speak for themselves. At least mine certainly do. Check out this undeniable transformation of my skin over 3.5 weeks. There were no filters or other products applied, and I posed in the same position, with the same lighting, at the end of each week.
Visibly less redness, less under-eye baggage, sunspots have faded, and overall skin tone is much brighter and more balanced. Mind = blown.
A few other cool aspects of their products that are worth a mention:
- Their flagship cleansing product is an “Oil + Foam Cleanser” which didn’t mean anything to me until I tried it out. You first apply it in its oil form, which deep cleans your pores and pulls out all the yuck that’s been clogging them up. Then you wet your hands and as you massage it onto your face, it becomes a foam, which breaks down all the makeup and other synthetic crap that sits on the surface. I’ve never seen this kind of dual-action business before and I FREAKIN LOVE IT. Also, it is made with tiny flecks of gold and truffle oil, which is just cool AF.
- Their “Elemental Essence Mask” is the one and only mask I’ve used in my lifetime that didn’t leave my skin burning and even more red afterwards. I was always fed these bullshit excuses by other companies who say “no pain, no gain” or “it has to get worse before it gets better”, but turns out, a mask doesn’t have to be a miserable experience after all! I kept this one on for 15 minutes while I responded to work emails (one of the perks of being your own boss – you can look as ridiculous as you want while working), then peeled it off, massaged in the excess oil, and NO SHIT, it was like an instant facelift. Firm, slight dewy skin that was as soft as a newborn’s tushy. I’ll take 52 more please…per year for the next 50 years. Hoping that’s an auto-replenish option.
- Speaking of auto-replenish, Saranghae offers it, but instead of a subscription program (which is SO yesterday), they offer a VIP membership. What’s the diff? You still save $$ off the retail prices (which are VERY reasonable to begin with; trust me, I’m on a new business owner budget), but with the membership, you pay no subscription fee, personalize your own delivery schedule (45 days is recommended, but I chose 60), can cancel any time with no fee, BUT receive loyalty discounts on future shipments for remaining a member. They throw in a free gift with your membership also, but honestly, if that’s going to make or break your decision, you haven’t been paying attention up to this point.
And since no product is perfect, I would offer the following words of caution and critique of this brand:
- No SPF. Wah-wah. This is kind of surprising because most skin care products nowadays are formulated with some level of sun protection, but Saranghae chose to leave this out because they feel people’s SPF needs vary so much that it should be handled separately.
- No Retinol or Retin-A. I know this will be a deal-breaker for some people who absolutely swear by this ingredient for anti-aging, but remember that this is a typically SYNTHETICALLY added to most products. Saranghae chooses to use a combination of botanicals to deliver Vitamin A instead, which has similar anti-aging properties.
- One of the premises of Korean Skin Care is achieving that youthful, DEWY glow. But if you’re prone to super oily skin, or prefer more of a matte look, then these products might not give you the finished look you’re going for.
- 5) You can customize your delivery options for the Saranghae bundles, but you cannot yet customize the bundle itself (although they do have several options). Hopefully they will add this feature in the future, because this girl would loooooooooooove to add a charcoal mask to her bundle (hint, hint) since I’m no longer a mask-a-phobe.
People who know me know that I’m not a random product-promoter. I’m a “I’ll believe it when I see it” kinda gal. But I took their challenge, believed what I saw, and now here I am promoting the product. Well-played Saranghae, well-played. So, who’s down for trying these products for themselves? If there’s enough interest, I’ll see if I can set up a promo/contest for you to do just that. Happy #selfcaresummer, renegades!
Saranghae is an award-winning Korean 5 Step Anti-Aging skin care routine that heals, regenerates, and protects your skin. Saranghae’s focus on natural ingredients, highly effective products, and excellence in customer service has helped them become the fastest-growing Korean skin care brand in the United States.
For more information, please visit: http://www.lovesaranghae.com